Monday 10 September 2012

Week 4 - the home straight!

Sunday 26th August - Day 21

Saturday has been spent resting at the impressive Wimpole Hall estate exploring the house and gardens. But again, I was up and raring to get going on Sunday and start the home straight. 



I was heading to the National Trust's Anglesey Abbey today which meant I was walking through the centre of Cambridge. A volunteer from Castle Drogo joined me today which gave another boost of motivation and chatting certainly makes the miles go by that bit quicker!

We headed out of the Wimpole Hall estate along a well-trodden footpath heading towards Granchester - where we stopped for lunch. The walk was very flat and so we could maintain a good pace. 

From Granchester it was only a mile or so into the centre of Cambridge. We walked past the famous college's - which are always good for a picture. 



We continued the walk along the River Cam, Cambridge seemed quiet considering it was a bank holiday. Alas, we soon found people and all the hustle and bustle around the shops. I stocked up on some dinner provisions and we continued heading north out of Cambridge. 


A cup of tea was necessary a few miles further along which gave me that final boost for the last few miles. As we approached Anglesey, the scenery became very familiar and the first of the 'big skies' was really prevalent. (the picture doesn't do it justice!) 



Arrived at Anglesey Abbey about 6pm and was welcomed really warmly by Gemma, Emily and Pete who made me feel very at home. Dinner and a quick bath and then spent the evening with them at the local beer festival - a great evening. Thank you! 

Monday 27th August - Day 22

Awoke at Anglesey about 8am, said goodbye to the Abbey and was on my way by 10am. 


Was heading towards the other side of Newmarket today. This is another day where I don't seem to have taken any photos. I walked along roads and footpaths to a village called Cheveley (which was half way to Ickworth House which was the destination for tomorrow)

Tuesday 28th August - Day 23

Was awake about 6.15am as I had a live radio interview on Radio Suffolk at 6.45 so I slurped down a cup of tea so I was a bit more awake for the bright and cheery radio DJ who asked me lots of questions about my walk. 

Left Cheveley about 10am and set off on my way towards Ickworth House (National Trust) near Bury St. Edmunds. A few miles down the road, I bumped into an old friend - small world!


I continued along the lanes for a few miles and crossed the border into 'Suffolk'! I must have text about 20 people when I had as I really was on the 'home straight' now. Continued through the villages of Dalham, Denham and Barrow mainly along small minor roads. 

Unexpectedly I walked past the National Trust's East of England Office so I popped in to say hello and Jeremy kindly made me a cup of tea. It was a useful place to stop as they let me know a way I could walk cross country to Ickworth rather than going down the road. I left with a handful of fudge and a new t-shirt - thank you! 

Walked across fields and then onto the Ickworth House estate. 


Soon found the entrance and was welcomed warmly by yet another much needed cup of tea! Had some photos taken by the Bury Free Press before being treated to a piece of cake in the cafe. 

Wednesday 29th August - Day 24

Set off from Ickworth House just after 9am and walked right across the estate. Was heading South today towards Long Melford where Melford Hall is situated. Once I was off the estate, I walked along lanes through pretty Suffolk villages. 

I made good time and I reached Stanstead just before 2pm where I was meeting 2 Melford Hall volunteers and a regional NT member of staff who were walking the last few miles with me. 

The weather had been good in the morning but when we set off from Stanstead church, the heavens opened and it was heavy rain the whole way to Long Melford!

We walked along a footpath at the back of the impressive Kentwell Hall (www.kentwell.co.uk), a Tudor mansion set back from Long Melford. It is quite extraordinary for one small market town to have two large houses. I know Kentwell Hall quite well from participating in 
Tudor Re-enactment there but I didn't linger to take photos as the rain was heavy. So we pressed on to Melford Hall, where we were taken into the warm volunteers room for tea and cake! 

Thursday 30th August - Day 25

Day 25 and 40 miles from home. I was joined by my Dad and Sister today. 


We set off from Melford Hall about 9am and got stomping as we were headed to Sproughton which was about 19 miles so it was great to have company! 

We walked along the lanes through villages and stocked up on provisions in Acton; it wasn't long until tucking into a Bakewell was necessary!




After the pit stop it started to rain and was pretty torrential for the whole afternoon. I remember thinking how ironic it was that it had been the wettest day of my walk in Suffolk which is deemed the 'driest' county in England. 

We warmed up over a cup of tea in Kersey, before completing the last few miles to Sproughton, which we reached about 6pm. A long day! 

Friday 31st August - Day 26

Sproughton to Sutton Hoo - Mum joined me today. 

After a comfortable stay with friends, we left Sproughton about 9am and walked north of Ipswich towards Westerfield where we stopped for coffee at a friend's house. 

From Westerfield, we took the Fynn Valley Path which goes all the way to Woodbridge. 


A few miles along the path, we met two friends at Playford. 



We continued along the great footpath heading towards Woodbridge. 


The path joined the river and it was an absolute gorgeous evening across the Deben. 


We walked along the river alongside Woodbridge, I town I know well, so it really felt like home was close!


After a quick cup of tea on the riverside, Claire and Jess left us and Mum and I continued along the river, past Melton and up the road to Sutton Hoo. (the last National Trust stop of the walk).

I was very warmly welcomed at the property by the staff and volunteers and also three friends who had come up to Devon to see me arrive - fab!


I was treated to tea and cake, delicious! 


Thank you very much to Sutton Hoo for the lovely welcome - only 8 miles to go! 

Saturday 1st September 

Today was THE day, the end of 'thelongwalkhome', in 8 miles I would be back in my home village of Easton. 

I had a group of friends join me on my last leg today and we met at Sutton Hoo at 9am. 


We walked out across Sutton Hoo, across a golf course, towards Bromeswell. The walk was easy going and having a group of friends made it whiz by! 


8 miles and 3 hours later, we reached Easton, a picture by the sign was a must! 


Continued into the village, where we were cheered and welcomed by family and friends. A cold drink from the pub and a sandwich awaited.


I'd made it! 27 days, 350 miles and I could finally have the picture under the 'Easton' village sign. 



Thank you to everybody who has supported me in this challenge - I couldn't have done it without you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment