Sunday 9 September 2012

Week 3

Monday 20th August - Day 16

After a day off on Sunday relaxing deep in the Chilterns countryside, I was ready to get up and go on Monday morning. Off North towards Wendover in Buckinghamshire today. 

My Dad joined me today and picked up the pace!


It was a beautiful walk along the Ridgeway with some great views over Buckinghamshire.



We walked past the Chequers Estate and then a climb up to Combe Hill.



From Combe Hill, it was a downhill walk to Wendover, looking out over the 'Three Hundreds of Aylesbury'.

Reached Wendover about 4.30pm - a great walk.

Tuesday 21st August - Day 17 

Day 17 was taking me from Wendover to Whipsnade which was a 18 mile or so walk so I was glad to have company from my Mum and friend Jenny today. 

We set out from Wendover along the Ridgeway again and through some lovely woodland. 




Multitasking - phone call and map reading! 




We reached Pitstone hill where we had a pit stop! We could see Ivinghoe Beacon in the distance which was a few miles from the final destination of Whipsnade. 



On top of Ivinghoe Beacon - great view. 

From there it was downhill (most of the way!) to Whipsnade Tree Cathederal. We were joined by Rose (a ranger from Dunstable Downs) who gave us lots of great local knowledge - thank you for joining us. 

Arriving at Whipsnade, we went to the rangers office for a much needed cup of tea. The evening was spent at the Dunstable Downs gateway centre with the staff and volunteers at their annual BBQ - everyone was very friendly and it was a great evening - thank you. 

Wednesday 22nd August - Day 18 

A great rest in Whipsnade got me prepared for day 18. Yesterday had been a long day and was in for a long day today as was heading north through Bedfordshire via Dunstable and Luton. 

My parents were walking with me again today and we set off about 9am. Headed towards Dunstable - we had a long slog through town and then across through Luton. 



Once we were out of Luton, we headed up onto the surrounding downs and were out in the countryside again. 



Along the downs for a while and then down in to the deep Bedfordshire counntryside, heading towards a small village where we were stopping for the night.


Rain came down heavily towards the end of the walk but it soon cleared up and it was turning into a lovely evening - we arrived at friend's house about 6pm just in time for tea! 


Thursday 23rd August - Day 19 

After some map sourcing in the morning, I left mid Bedfordshire just after lunch (as I only had about 10 miles today "an afternoon stroll"!). 

I walked through villages and along lanes towards the destination. I don't have any pictures of this day I'm afraid - the scenery was a little uninspiring or perhaps I was uninspired! 

Friday 24th August - Day 20

I was heading for National Trust's Wimpole Hall near Cambridgeshire today. 


Left Ashwell in Hertfordshire about 10am. (somehow had managed to cross the border from Bedfordshire into Hertfordshire yesterday) and set off. 



Walked through fields and villages and along a very long road! But reached Wimpole Hall early afternoon.




Was welcomed by staff at Wimpole and found my accommodation for the night. Had a refreshing shower and then re-fueled in the cafe. Spent the evening at the staff and volunteer barn dance - great night and surprisingly I had lots of energy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment