Sunday 9 September 2012

Week 2

Monday 13th August -Day 10: After a relaxing day on Sunday at Lacock Abbey, I was ready to get back on the road on Monday. 

After a hearty breakfast in the Red Lion pub in Lacock village, I met two friends who came up from Devon to join me and after a picture at Lacock Abbey we set off. 

















We had a climb out of Lacock village first of all which got the muscles working! Off the road and on to a footpath which we had trouble navigating and had to limbo under lots 
of electric fences! We were making good time though when we got back on track and were slowly making our way towards the Wiltshire downs. 




In the afternoon, we were joined by three members of the National Trust fundraising team and Jake the dog. It was great to have company and chatting the whole way to Avebury made the miles whiz by and the rain not seem so bad!




We made it to Avebury! - Thanks for joining me!

Tuesday 14th August - Day 11

After a very relaxing and comfortable stay in Devizes, I was taken back to Avebury to set off on the next leg to Hungerford. 

I headed out of Avebury straight up the Wessex Ridgeway on to the Marlborough Downs. It wasn't long until I saw this and thought to myself 'Anyone for a bit of Chopin?'


After photographing the evidence that I did see a Piano on the Ridgeway, I continued across the downs, trying to get to Marlborough in time for coffee (as I had quite a long day ahead of me!).


Reached Marlborough, had a coffee, sourced some lunch provisions and then continued along the river valley towards Hungerford. As I had avoided purchasing the next map, I detoured slightly inland to get on to the River and Kennet canal as I knew I could navigate quite easily without one from then on! 

It was a hot day and I finally reached Hungerford by about 6pm thirsty and tired but had a very lovely, relaxing stay there - thank you Caroline. 

Avon and Kennett Canal near Hungerford.


Wednesday 15th August - Day 12

Left Hungerford about 9am (didn't have such a long day ahead of me) and was walking straight along the canal to Thatcham today so there wouldn't be any difficult navigating either!


It was a fast walk along the canal and it wasn't long until I reached Newbury where I stopped for refreshment which was good timing as there was a very heavy rain shower during my stop!

After my respite, I continued to Thatcham which was a further 4 or so miles from Newbury. It wasn't a good day for pictures today as lots of rain and flat views of canal. 

Arrived in Thatcham just after 4pm so a good day and now in the middle of Berkshire. 

Thursday 16th August - Day 13

Started the morning with a couple of miles along the canal again before heading north across Berkshire, aiming for the National Trust's Basildon Park today. 

Walked through some villages towards Buckleberry common where I retraced a walk I did as a child.



Across the common and through more of Berkshire and its villages, before finally reaching Basildon Park. It had been another hot day so I had to have a lie down at the entrance gates before walking up the drive! 

Was welcomed warmly by staff and after settling into my accommodation for the night and a cool shower, I enjoyed a glass of Pimms with staff and volunteers - thanks! 


Friday 17th August - Day 14

After a good rest at Basildon Park, I was up and ready to leave by 10am. I had company today!




They joined me for the first couple of miles to Goring. The walk was dull along the main road but was great to have company. 




Arrived at Goring and had a cup of tea at the cafe there - it was very relaxing and tempting to linger. But knowing of the distance to Nuffield Place gave me the push to get up off the seat and get moving again! I said goodbye to my fellow walkers for the morning and after buying lunch provisions from the cafe, set off on my way up the Ridgeway.

The Ridgeway took me along the Thames so was a really great walk. Headed north along the Ridgeway to Wallingford. Stopped at a church for lunch and ate what is possibly the best sandwich I've ever had - ham, egg, tomato and mustard mayonnaise. Delicious!

Near Wallingford, the Ridgeway headed east towards Nuffield Place - destination for the day.


Arrived at Nuffield Place about 4.30pm - hot and tired - I had had a quick pace today and I was relieved to have a cold glass of squash and cup of tea. Oh the simple things in life. 

Saturday 18th August - Day 15

Set out from Nuffield Place this morning.


It was a hot day already and I set off along the Ridgeway heading north deep into the Chilterns. The Ridgeway was very well sign posted and so a map was almost made redundant. 


Big blue skies today but luckily plenty of shade to keep me cool too!

I arrived at the campsite I was staying at for the next two nights by mid afternoon - it had been a great walk and finally felt like I was on the right side of home! 15 days done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment